In a preventive measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the government declared on Thursday that it has suspended training programs intended for Hajj pilgrims.
The decision was adopted after the ban on the outbreak of coronavirus in Pakistan, said Interfaith and Religious Affairs Minister Noor-ul-Haq Qadri. The Federal Minister told that this decision had been communicated to all Haji camps across the country.
He said arrangements for Hajj 2020 are underway as per routine and the government is in contact with the Saudi government in this regard.
Over 149,295 hajj applications were received this year, of which 105,413 have been selected under the government scheme through computerized open balloting.
As per the Hajj Policy 2020, initially, 179,210 Pakistanis will perform the sacred religious obligation. Some 10,000 seats have been reserved for senior citizens as per the government Hajj Scheme. 1,000 seats are reserved for overseas Pakistanis.
Meanwhile, the government Hajj package (per person) is Rs463,445 for the north region and Rs486,270 for the south region excluding Qurbani (sacrifice). However, Rs486,270 and Rs478,520 for north and south regions respectively with Qurbani.
It may be mentioned here that Pakistan has confirmed two coronavirus-related deaths as two patients died in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa from the novel coronavirus, whereas the number of cases across the country has risen to over 300.