PSO Starts Importing Euro-V Petrol for Cars in Pakistan

Pakistan State Oil (PSO) has got the government’s approval to import Euro-V standard fuel as the state-run oil company will commence partial imports this month from Kuwait Petroleum Corporation on a trial basis.

As per the Petroleum Division, all petrol imports will have to be Euro-V compliant with effect from the third quarter of 2020 whereas the deadline for Euro-V diesel imports has been set to January 2021.

The government-to-government contract for fuel import between the two state-run companies is in place for the past 40 years and Pakistan has been getting a 60-day interest-free credit facility since 2000. Since 2017, Pakistan has been importing Euro II high-speed diesel as the country meets 40% of its demand through imports; the remaining 60% is met through domestic refineries.

PSO takes care of 22% of the country’s total high-speed diesel demand with a 55% share in total imports. On the other hand, the country’s petrol requirement is met through 70% imports and 30% domestic production.

Pakistan, however, will continue to import Euro-II diesel from Kuwait until December 2020 as PSO is bound to take the delivery of 2-2.3 million tons this year. Talking about denying Kuwaiti supplies, an official said:

Pakistan is using a 60-day interest-free credit facility extended by Kuwait for high-speed diesel import since 2000, which would be discontinued. Leaving Kuwait Petroleum may also result in releasing around $150 million of payment immediately to Kuwait Petroleum for the 60-day credit.

The current marketing mechanism with regards to pricing and inland freight equalization margin should prevail and further action will be taken by the regulators accordingly.

Similar Articles



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


Most Popular