Abu Dhabi has just made it easier for skilled professionals in certain categories to apply for a work permit without the need for a company’s sponsorship.
Dubai: If you have years of experience in a specialised field and now want to set up your own consultancy, Abu Dhabi has just made it easier for skilled professionals in certain categories to apply for a work permit without the need for a company’s sponsorship.
The freelancer permit, announced by Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development (ADDED), is available to UAE citizens, residents and non-residents, which will allow them to apply for residence visas. The permit also does not have a mandatory requirement for an office space, according to the announcement.
Application method for freelancer licence
To register for the freelancer licence, applicants can call ADDED on 02 815 8888 or register a new account with the Abu Dhabi Business Centre on www.adbc.gov.ae
The Abu Dhabi Business Centre also has an app, available for Android and Apple devices, called ‘AD Business Centre’.
To register with the Abu Dhabi Business Centre, applicants simply need to create a new account by providing the following details:
- Full name
- Passport number
- Mobile number
- Email address
Once you set up an account, you can apply for the Freelance licence under the ‘Commercial licence’ category.
You do not need a local service agent or UAE citizen as a partner in order to apply for this licence. However, you would need to provide the following supporting documents for your application to be considered:
- Proof of expertise in activity seeking to be licensed for: A university degree, a certificate of experience or accredited accomplishments in desired activity.
- If the applicant is a resident:
- Working in the government sector – should attach a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the employer
- Working in the private sector under a permanent contract and will be participating in a similar activity – required NOC letter from employer.
- Working in the private sector on a part-time basis – NOC letter not required.
Which activities are included?
Under the terms of the recently issued resolution, ADDED has identified 48 economic activities that can be practiced with a freelancer licence.
The economic activities include:
- Working soap forming
- Parties and events organising
- Tourist and recreation consultants
- Green buildings consultant
- Marketing consultancy and studies
- Information technology consultancy
- Translation publication services
- Heritage consulting
- Plastering and carving works
- Coordination of natural and artificial flowers
- Space consultancies
- Design services
- Consulting technical equipment
- Fashion and clothes designing
- Real estate consultancy
- Public relations consultancy
- Human resource consultancy
- Marketing consultancy in the field of energy
- Computer devices and equipment domain consultancy
- Handcrafted products and environmental works
- Landscape and gardening services
- Marketing operations management
- Parliamentary consultancy
- Economic feasibility consultancy and studies
- Administrative consultancy and studies
- Parties and occasions photography
- Lifestyle development consultancy
- Calligraphers and painters
- Agricultural extension services
- Plague resisting consultancy
- Procurement consulting
- Quality, standardisation and measuring consultancy
- Maritime consultancies services
- Commodities designing consultancy
- Project management services
- Network websites designing
- Jewellery design, jewellery
- Statistical services consultancies
- Personal videography
- Banking services consultancy
- Artwork for cosmetic craft (sculpture)
- Consultancy project development
- Food safety consulting
- Photography services
- Architectural production and drawing technical consultancy
- Fine arts consultancy
- Logistics consultancy