The Higher Education Commission (HEC) offers a six month research scholarship for full time abroad study to the PhD scholars, enrolled in higher education institutions of Pakistan and AJK, under its international Research Support Initiative Programme (IRSIP).
The purpose of fellowship programme is to enhance research capabilities of PhD scholars, and also develop linkages between Pakistani and foreign institutions. HEC receives application for IRSIP throughout the year and fellowships are awarded on quarterly basis after thorough evaluation of applications.
- To introduce Pakistani talent globally.
- To disseminate information about research in Pakistan.
- To bring standard of doctoral research at par with international standards.
- To enhance the quality of doctoral research in Pakistan.
- To provide opportunities to doctoral students for training/ research work at advanced research labs of reputed universities abroad and to interact with foreign scientist working at frontiers of knowledge.
- To create a critical mass of highly qualified manpower that could contribute towards the development of Pakistan.
- To facilitate assimilation, absorption and transfer of important and promising scientific and technological knowledge information to achieve repaid economic progress.
- To explore avenues for further collaboration internationally.
HEC PhD Scholarships 2020-21 Eligibility Criteria
- Full time PhD scholars those are Pakistani nationals
- Minimum two years of enrollment in PhD Programme and maximum upto 3.5 years
- Coursework of atleast 18 credit hours
- He/She must have passed PhD admission test at the time of PhD admission, as per Higher Education Commission of Pakistan’s rules.
- He/She must have an approved PhD research topic and synopsis by the Board of advanced studies and research (BASR) ir Directorate of Advanced Studies and Research (DASR) or equivalent body of the university.
- He/She must have an official acceptance / invitation letter for research from a foreign university / institute / laboratory. The university institution must be listed in top 200 universities list as per Times Ranking of Word Universities either in general category or in the relevant subject of applicant.
- Foreign Supervisor should not be an ex-supervisor of the Local Supervisor.
- Scholars already availing other local HEC scholarships are also eligible to apply provided they submit NOC from concerned HEC focal person.
How To Apply For HEC Scholarships For Abroad PhD Study
Applications can be submitted round the year. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as they fulfill the basic criteria. Incomplete applications are not entertained. For details about application procedure and more information, please visit http://hec.gov.pk/site/IRSIP.