With a whopping share of around 48 percent, natural gas plays a significant role in satisfying Pakistan’s energy requirement. The fuel is used for domestic, commercial, and industrial purposes. The Sui Gas Field is the largest gas reserve in Pakistan, accounting for roughly 6% of the country’s total gas reserves.
The Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) Limited and the Sui Northern Gas Pipeline Limited (SNGPL) are the two major gas companies in the country supplying gas to the southern and northern regions, respectively. So, if you want to apply for a new gas connection in Pakistan but don’t know how to go about it, we’ve got you covered.
We’ve written this blog to list all the requirements and detail the processes and procedures of the installation of a gas connection. However, before we delve into the details, let’s find out more about different types of gas consumers in Pakistan.
Types of Gas Consumer in Pakistan
Gas consumers in Pakistan are usually categorised into three main types.
The Process to Apply for a New Gas Connection in Pakistan
The process to apply for a new gas connection in Pakistan varies for all the three types of consumers, due to which we have discussed them individually in detail below.
Domestic Gas Connection in Pakistan
Here are the step-by-step instructions to apply for a domestic gas connection in Pakistan.
- First of all, you will need to get an application form to request a domestic gas connection for household use. The form is free-of-charge, easily available at your nearest Sui Gas office, or can be downloaded online.
- After you are done filling out the domestic gas connection form, submit it along with some mandatory documents including a copy of your identity card, photocopy of legal property documents to ascertain its size, and the copy of a gas bill of a neighbour.
- You will get an acknowledgement letter after you have submitted the documents. As mentioned in the acknowledgement letter, it might take around 6 weeks for you to get a response to your application.
- In the next step, a representative from the respective gas authority will pay you a visit for a thorough survey of the site and create an outline of your premise, which will then be submitted for approval.
- Once the site gets approved, a demand notice will be issued in the name of the applicant, which in this case is you.
- The next step involves the submission of a security deposit, which is calculated according to the area of the site (We have mentioned further details about the fee for new domestic gas connections in Pakistan further down).
- The above steps are followed by the issuance of a Consumer Master Card (CMC) to the applicant, after which the gas connection is provided along with the installation of a meter within a week.
- Details about the new consumer are then forwarded to the billing department, which manages procedures related to the monthly billing.
Commercial Gas Connection in Pakistan
The process of installing a commercial gas connection in Pakistan is almost the same. However, one important thing that you should be aware of before applying for a commercial gas connection is that commercial consumers are classified into two types: low-pressure commercial consumers and high-pressure commercial consumers. So, what are the key factors behind this classification? Let’s find out.
Low-pressure Commercial Consumers
- A consumer who uses up to 300 cubic feet of gas per hour is classified as a low-pressure commercial consumer.
- The amount of security deposit depends on the required gas load. However, service line charges for low-pressure consumers are PKR 5,000, which are fixed.
- Monthly billing charges for a low-pressure commercial consumer includes with-holding tax, sales tax, and metre rent.
High-pressure Commercial Consumers
- A consumer who uses more than 300 cubic feet of gas per hour is categorised as a high-pressure commercial consumer.
- The amount of security deposit and service line charges for high-pressure consumers depend on the required gas load.
- Monthly billing charges for a high-pressure commercial consumer includes with-holding tax, sales tax, and metre rent.
Industrial Gas Connection in Pakistan
The process of gas connection for industrial use is almost the same as that of a domestic gas connection. The following are some key points that define an entity as an industrial consumer:
- The entity is involved in the production of goods.
- The amount of gas load being consumed crosses the mark of 500 cubic feet per month.
- The survey of the premises is also taken into account before placing the applicant into the commercial or industrial category.
Documents Required to Apply for a Gas Connection in Pakistan
Whether you are a domestic, commercial, or industrial gas consumer, you will have to submit your application for a new gas connection along with the following documents.
- Photocopy of Computerised National Identity Card (CNIC)
- Photocopy of the Layout Plan of the House/Building/Factory premises
- National Tax Number (NTN) or Tax Return (TR) Certificate from Income Tax Department
- Photocopy of the Registry of the House/Building/Factory (if you own the property)
- Photocopy of the Lease Agreement (If You Are A Tenant)
- Photocopy of Partnership Deed Along With the List of Partners
- Power Of Attorney In Case Of a Business Partnership
- Affidavit of Ownership/Proprietorship (if you are a sole proprietor)
The fee for the installation of domectic gas connection
Based on the size of the premises, the fee for the installation of domestic gas connections in Pakistan is as follows:
|Size of Plot||Service Line Charges||Security||Total|
|Up to 10 Marla / 250 sq yd||Rs. 1,500||Rs. 4,500||Rs. 6,000|
|Above 10 Marla / 250 sq yd||Rs. 3,000||Rs. 4,500||Rs. 7,500|