Facebook fatigue is common these days. The new normal in these Covid-19 hit times has forced us to spend an increasing amount of time on screen. Be it for work or for studying, surfing the internet or simply interacting with our loved ones, our screen time has gone up significantly.
In these circumstances, it is natural for everyone to seek a break from social media. There are, of course, many other reasons to take a break, including elders forcing youngsters not to stay glued to the smartphone screen due to its bad effect on health or because of cyberbullying, but whatever be the reason, the end result here is that you want to delete your Facebook account.
The next question that pops up is, how to delete your Facebook account permanently?
Here we explain the process in the easiest of ways, but remember that this is a drastic method to adopt and once deleted, you will lose all the information that is there – good or bad. Of course, you could always come back, but that would require a brand new ID. So, here’s a step-by-step guide as to how you can delete your Facebook account.
How to delete your Facebook account permanently:
- Step 1: Open your Facebook profile.
- Step 2: From your main profile, click in the top right corner of your Facebook profile.
- Step 3: Now, go to the Settings & Privacy section.
- Step 4: Then click on the Settings button.
- Step 5: Click on Your Facebook Information in the left column.
- Step 6: Next, click on the Privacy option, click Your Facebook Information.
- Step 7: Click on the Deactivation and Deletion option.
- Step 8: Choose Delete Account, then click Continue to Account Deletion.
- Step 9: Click Delete Account, enter your password and then click Continue.
But you can still change your mind
It is worth noting that, once you select to delete your account permanently, you still have 30 days to change your mind. That’s right, users get 30 days to change their selection and cancel their Facebook account deletion request.
However, if they don’t cancel their account deletion request within this time period, their Facebook accounts will be deleted and all their data including their Facebook posts and images will be deleted for good.
How to deactivate your Facebook account temporarily
Deleting is not the only option that Facebook users can opt for if they take some time off from social media. Users can also take a break from Facebook by deactivating their accounts.
Here’s how you can deactivate your Facebook account:
- Step 1: From your main profile, click on the downward-pointing arrow in the top right of Facebook.
- Step 2: Now select the Settings & Privacy option and then click on the Settings button.
- Step 3: Next, click on Your Facebook Information in the left column.
- Step 4: Now click on the Deactivation and Deletion option.
- Step 5: Here, choose the Deactivate Account option.
- Step 6: Click on the Continue option to Account Deactivation and follow the instructions to confirm.
Call it taking a welcome break from Facebook, breaking a bad habit or avoiding nasty situations, whatever the reason, make sure that you weigh the reasons properly before deleting your Facebook account.