After a series of reports, WhatsApp has finally rolled out the possibility to transfer chat history from iOS to Android. WhatsApp has reportedly been working on this feature for a while now. The feature had also appeared during various beta tests. Up until now, WhatsApp users had to let go of their chat history every time they switched operating systems, i.e. iOS to Android or vice versa. It is possible to migrate chat history from an Android to an Android device, but the possibility of migrating chats was not there between iOS and Android.
Announcing the feature, WhatsApp in the blog said, “One of the most requested features we’ve had is to make it possible to transfer chat history from one operating system to another when switching phones. We’ve been hard at work with the operating system and device manufacturers to build it in a secure and reliable way. We’re excited to start rolling out the ability to move your WhatsApp history from iOS to Android. This happens without your messages being sent to WhatsApp in the process and includes voice messages, photos and videos.”
Notably, the feature will initially be available on any Samsung device running Android 10 or higher and will be available on more Android devices soon. Users will be provided with the option to securely transfer their chats from one device to another whenever they set up a new device. However, for this process, you would require a USB-C to Lightning cable.
It’s worth mentioning that there’s still no way to move your chat history from an Android device to an iPhone, but we expect it to be available soon.
Here is how you can migrate chats from iPhone to Android phone
Considering WhatsApp has only rolled out the possibility to transfer chats from iPhone to a Samsung phone initially, you would need a Samsung SmartSwitch app version 22.214.171.124 or greater installed on your new device. Along with that, you will also have to update the WhatsApp iOS app to make the transfer happen.
- Turn on your new Samsung phone and connect by cable to your iPhone when you are asked to.
- Follow the instructions provided by the Samsung Smart Switch app for transferring data.
- You will then be asked to scan the QR code displayed on the new device using the iPhone’s camera.
- Tap Start on your iPhone and wait for the process to complete.
- You can then continue setting up your Samsung device.
- After setting up, open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number used on your old device.
- Tap on the Import button when you are asked to and let the device complete the process.
- Activate your new device to see the chats.
Notably, your old phone will still store your data as long as you would want it to. The chats and data are encrypted, so WhatsApp will not be able to access them on either device.