You may be changing jobs, or you may have decided to discontinue using a specific email account, or you may simply want a backup of all your emails in case something goes wrong.
Whatever your reasons, backing up and exporting your Gmail and other Google accounts using Google’s Takeout feature is a good idea. In fact, you can schedule regular backups of your accounts, which is a good practice in general.
One thing to remember: if you’re backing up a company account, you may know that your company has disabled Takeout. There are third-party apps that claim to back up your Gmail, but you should double-check your company’s policies before using them.
How to back up your Gmail?
- Browse to myaccount.google.com.
- Here you need to click on “Manage your data & personalization” under Privacy & personalization.
- Scroll down to “Download or delete your data.” Select “Download your data.”
- You will be directed to the Google Takeout page as a result of this action. If you only want to download your Gmail, go to the top of the page and click “Deselect all.”
Scroll down to Mail and check the box under “Select data to include” (and any other apps you want to back up).
- When you check it, you’ll see two buttons. One is labeled “Multiple formats”; click on it to see which format(s) your data will be downloaded in. The other will most likely be labeled “All mail data included” — select that if you only want to download specific categories.
- Scroll down and press the “Next step” button.
- Click the arrow beneath “Delivery method” to see your options, which include emailing a download link or adding it to your Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or Box.
- You can also select if you want to export once a month or every two months (for up to a year), as well as the type of file and the maximum file size. (If the file size exceeds your limit, it will be split into multiple files; files larger than 2GB will use the zip64 compression format.) After you’ve finished making your choices, click “Create export.”
- Your export will begin. Be ready to wait; it could take days to complete. You can also select between “Cancel export” and “Create another export.”