With a growing reputation for high-quality education and a wide selection of English-taught courses in a variety of fields, studying in Turkey offers international students a distinctive and enriching experience.
One of the most attractive aspects of studying in Turkey is the abundance of scholarships available to international students. These scholarships not only make Turkish higher education more accessible but also enhance its appeal to students from all corners of the world.
HOW TO APPLY FOR TURKEY ONLINE VISA FROM PAKISTAN
Turkey’s strategic location serves as an advantage for international students, as it allows easy travel to neighboring countries, making it an excellent base for exploration. The country’s unique blend of Eastern and Western influences, where modernity harmonizes with tradition, adds to the allure of embarking on a memorable academic adventure in Turkey.
For prospective students considering Turkey as their study destination, here is a comprehensive 101 guide, detailing all the necessary processes to follow for a successful academic journey in this diverse and exciting country.
How to apply for a Turkish visa
When considering studying in Turkey, there are two main visa options available: the student visa and the tourist visa. While both options are open to students, obtaining a student visa is highly recommended. Regardless of which visa you choose, if you plan to stay in Turkey for an extended period, you will need to apply for a residence permit upon arrival.
To acquire a visa for your stay, there are two different routes you can take:
- Apply through Authorized Firms: You have the option to apply for a student visa, work visa, or travel visa through authorized firms like Anatolia Travel Services. These firms can assist you in navigating the visa application process and ensure a smoother experience.
- Obtain an E-Visa: For short-term travel and trade purposes, you can apply for an e-visa online. However, please note that the e-visa is not suitable for long-term study purposes, and if you plan to study in Turkey, it is best to opt for a student visa instead.
Remember that obtaining a student visa provides you with the proper documentation and benefits that are specifically tailored to students, making it the more suitable choice for those seeking to study and live in Turkey for an extended period.
Turkish Visa Document Requirements
To obtain a visa for Turkey, you must meet the following requirements:
- Acceptance into a Turkish Program: You can only apply for a visa once you have received an official acceptance letter from a university in Turkey, confirming your enrollment in a program.
- Valid Passport: Ensure that your passport is valid and has an expiration date that complies with the visa requirements.
- Biometric Photos: Your biometric photos must meet Turkish visa requirements, including specific dimensions, background color, photo quality, and proper facial positioning. Refer to the official Turkish authorities’ website for detailed guidelines.
- Booked Flight Ticket: Provide proof of a round-trip flight ticket as part of your visa application.
- Travel Insurance: Obtain travel insurance coverage, and ensure you have the necessary proof, which can be facilitated by an international travel agent.
- Proof of Sufficient Funds: You must demonstrate that you have enough financial resources to cover your living expenses and study fees in Turkey. This can be supported by presenting bank statements showing the required amount, a scholarship letter (if applicable), or a sponsorship letter from parents or a sponsor who will support your stay and education in Turkey.
- Visa Payment Fees: The visa payment fees are specified in Pakistani Rupees (PKR) on the relevant official documentation.
Make sure to fulfill all these requirements before applying for your Turkish visa to ensure a smooth and successful application process.
It is necessary to prepare a few key documents for the legal processes you will need to follow once you arrive in Turkey after obtaining your visa.
Several crucial actions must be taken almost immediately after your arrival in the nation, including getting a SIM card in your name, your tax number, an equivalency certificate, and a residence permit.
You may find the step-by-step instructions below useful.
Obtain a telephone number
In order to open a bank account, communicate with officials during legal procedures for the residence permit and equivalency certificate, and receive important notifications from government departments, obtaining a SIM card with your name is the first essential requirement.
To get a SIM card, you will need a valid passport. Once you obtain your residence permit, it is highly recommended to transfer your SIM card registration to your residence permit details. This ensures that your phone number remains linked to your legal status in the country and facilitates smoother communication with various authorities.
By transferring your SIM card registration to your residence permit, you can avoid any potential issues with your phone number and stay connected throughout your stay in Turkey without interruption.
Get your tax number
Obtaining a tax number in Turkey can be done through two methods: an online application or visiting a nearby tax office.
The tax number is a crucial identifier necessary for essential payments and processes, such as opening a bank account or registering your mobile phone. Before receiving your residence permit card with the foreign ID number, the tax number will serve as your identification number for all legal matters.
To apply for a tax number online, you can visit the official web page of the Tax Office at https://ivd.gib.gov.tr.
On the bottom of the page, click on the ‘Application for Non-Citizen’s Potential Tax Number’ button, and provide the required details. Make sure to enable cookies and pop-ups on your browser, as your Tax ID number will be issued as an official letter in PDF format.
In case the online application is not feasible for you, you must personally visit the nearest tax office with your passport to obtain your tax number. The tax office staff will guide you through the process and issue your tax identification number.
Ensure that you obtain your tax number as it is an essential requirement for various legal procedures and financial transactions during your stay in Turkey.
How to Apply For a Residence Permit in Turkey
To begin the process of obtaining a residence permit in Turkey, follow these steps:
- Complete the Online Application Form: Visit the e-ikamet website and fill out the online application form for a residence permit.
- Gather Required Documents: Before your appointment date, ensure you have collected all the necessary documents. The list of required documents can be found on the website and includes items such as the residence permit application, a photocopy of your passport, four biometric photographs, proof of health insurance, a statement showing sufficient funds in your account, and other relevant documents.
- Check Passport Validity: Make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months from the date of your intended stay in Turkey. Passport validity is an important requirement during the residence permit application process.
By following these steps and ensuring you have all the required documents, you can smoothly proceed with your residence permit application and legal procedures in Turkey.
As an undergraduate student in Turkey, obtaining a Turkish equivalency certificate is a necessary step to complete your university registration.
There are two methods to obtain a Turkish equivalence certificate. The first choice is to obtain your Pakistani equivalent of a Turkish passport by going to the Turkish embassy in Islamabad. The second method is to acquire your equivalency in Turkey itself.
For detailed guidance on the process, you can refer to the complete guide available on the relevant website.
If you are an International Baccalaureate student, you can visit a specific site to have your documents attested.
Living in Turkey may present certain challenges for Pakistani students, particularly when facing cultural shock and language barriers. We have a dedicated article that covers cultural shocks that Pakistani students may encounter while in Türkiye.
By following the appropriate steps for obtaining Turkish equivalency and being prepared for cultural differences, Pakistani students can have a fulfilling and successful experience during their studies in Turkey.
Key Survival Tips
The weather in Türkiye tends to be cold for a significant part of the year. It is advisable to be prepared and pack warm clothes and jackets to stay comfortable during your stay.
Don’t forget to bring extension wires and universal adapters with you, as the plug types in Türkiye differ from those in Pakistan.
Take advantage of the student discounts available almost everywhere in Turkey. Before making any payments, inquire about student discounts to save money. Additionally, consider getting a metro card right away, as it can significantly reduce your transportation costs during your time in Turkey.
This article is inspired by Aaj News.