In response to the disruption caused by events on May 10, 11, and 12, 2023, Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE) has revealed plans for a retake exam in October.
The move follows concerns from students and parents about unexpected grades in the 2023 A and AS-level exams.
Key stakeholders, including CAIE’s Country Director Uzma Yousaf and the British Council’s Director Maria Rehman, participated in a significant meeting at the Ministry of Federal Education and Professional Training (MoFEPT). The focus was to devise a solution for addressing inconsistencies in recent exam results.
Cambridge will offer fee waivers for the retake exams, while the British Council will assist with logistics at a reduced cost. Significant grade disparities will lead to individual re-evaluation and reassessment of Cambridge assessment grades.
For re-evaluation and re-assessment requests, schools will cover 80 percent of the costs, with parents contributing the remaining 20 percent. If these evaluations result in grade changes, the entire fee will be reimbursed. The Ministry will collaborate with university Vice Chancellors and provincial governments to ensure flexible admissions and similar measures.
A complaint redressal system will be established under the Private Institution Education Regulatory Authority (PIERA) within the Ministry of Federal Education & Professional Training to oversee unresolved grievances.
This situation unfolded after Pakistani students received their Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) AS and A-Level results. The cancellation of exams on May 9 and 12 due to political tensions led to unexpected grades. Cambridge International noted that they were gradually restoring the pre-pandemic standard of 2019 in response to demands for rescheduling the cancelled exams to rectify grades.